The Safety Program of the VFW continues to provide and promote programs designed to safeguard our communities. The VFW is actively conducting and participating in six major categories under which any drug or safety activity will fall. Virtually all drug or safety activities conducted by a Post can be reported within each of the six categories. Credit will be given only once for each activity.
The Program Reporting period is May 1, 2021, to April 30, 2022.
The six categories are:
1. Highway Safety: Any activity intended to improve individual driving skills and awareness or activities associated with improving safety in our vehicles and on our roadways. (Click It or Ticket, State approved driving course)
2. Pedestrian Safety: Any worthwhile activity intended to improve individual awareness and visibility of non-motorized vehicle riding skills, awareness, and responsibility. (Bicycle Safety, Lite-a-Tike, or Halloween Safety Bags)
3. Recreational Safety: Any organized activity associated with improving the skills and responsibilities of those individuals engaged in recreation activities with children and/or adults. (Hunter Safety, Water/Boater Safety, Outdoor Safety, Winter Sports Safety)
4. Home/Fire Safety: Activities designed to promote and inform individuals within the community about protecting their homes, possessions, and lives. (Home/Fire Protection - Indoor/Outdoor)
5. Drug Awareness: Any program designed to inform and protect your community from the influence of substance abuse, including prescription drugs. (D.A.R.E., PTA meetings, Substance/Alcohol Abuse awareness)
6. Recognition/Other: A program to bring public recognition to the community people who spend their workday protecting their lives and property. Recognizing the heroism/or safety achievements of those individuals in the community. This category may also be used to report an activity that does not fit into any of the above categories, including cooperation with other groups and organizations besides the VFW. (Life-Saving Award, Law Enforcement Officer, EMT/Paramedic, Firefighter of the Year Award, Distribution of various safety-related materials)